Friday, April 1, 2011

Jump

Jump is such an electrifying word. It's a word of action. a word of physical fitness. A word of youth, fun and excitement.

When I was elementary school I would play jump rope in elementary school. I really didn't play it much because it was always associated as being a girls game - but the boys played it every once in a while. Now that I am an adult I jump rope quite often in the gym. It's one of the most efficient and effective cardio exercises you can do - and it's fun also.

A person may jump because they are having fun or they're exercising. You may also jump because you have been frightened and you're trying to get away quickly. In other instances you might jump because you've injured yourself. Jumping can be an involuntary reflex or an voluntary action.

Jump can also refer to the economy of a nation, business or family. Such as last week my company experienced a jump

It is also a term of expression or determination. We've all heard the term, "you say jump, I ask how high".

In many games (such as checkers or chess) the term "jump" is used in the strategy or progression of the game.

Like many words in the English language jump is a word of several characteristics in meaning and/or connotations.

Here are a few definitions of the word from dictionary.com
  •  to spring clear of the ground or other support by a sudden muscular effort; leap: to jump into the air; to jump out a window.
  • to rise suddenly or quickly: He jumped from his seat when she entered.
  • to move or jerk suddenly, as from surprise or shock: He jumped when the firecracker exploded.
  • to obey quickly and energetically; hustle: The waiter was told to jump when the captain signaled.
  • Informal . to be full of activity; bustle: The whole town is jumping with excitement.




JUMP

1 comment:

  1. lol more than I ever thought I would know about a simple word I use frequently :O)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...