Tuesday, May 17, 2011


The Shrimp by Ogden Nash

A shrimp who sought his lady shrimp
Could catch no glimpse
Not even a glimp.
At times, translucence
Is rather a nuisance.

† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † 

Shrimp are found around the world in both fresh water and salt water. they are of the crustacean family and are of the decapod family (creatures with ten feet). Adult shrimp generally live close to the bottom of the sea. The shrimp is not only a food source for humans but also for other fish and especially whales.

I love shrimp. It is one of my favorites in the seafood category. I mostly enjoy it sauteed in minced garlic and butter.

Shrimp cocktail is one of the world's most popular appetizers. The cocktail sauce is usually tomato based blended with chili sauce, horseradish and other ingredients.

Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo is a popular menu item in many restaurants. Marie Callender's featured it for many years.

The colorful mantis shrimp is popular in Japanese cuisine. It is boiled and used as a topping on sushi.

† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Commercial shrimp farming began in the 1970s, and production grew steeply, particularly to match the market demands of the United States, Japan and Western Europe. The total global production of farmed shrimp reached more than 1.6 million tonns in 2003, representing a value of nearly 9 billion U.S. dollars. About 75% of farmed shrimp are produced in Asia, in particular in China, Thailand and in the Philippines (normally shrimp or prawns are caught in lake, river and sea and are not farmed in tanks). The other 25% are produced mainly in Latin America, where Brazil is the largest producer. The largest exporting nation is Thailand.

† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † 
Another use for the word SHRIMP

A short person is sometimes called a "shrimp


1 comment:

  1. haha i have been called a shrimp by tall people sometimes :)

    i like that pretty shrimp picture

    good word




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...